Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Broken Dryer and Making Square Plates

Our dryer broke this weekend. The heat just stopped working. We've tried fixing it and have had zero luck. It's old, so time to replace! But, until Uncle Sam sends us some $, this is what you'll see around my house.



This is what I'm working on right now in the studio: square plates. I'm having so much fun making them. So different for me to handbuild functional ware. My sculptures almost always have slab work, but never have I tried this. I love rolling slab and throwing them. I don't have a slab roller, but I think I do pretty well at getting even thickness. I'm trying 12" squares. With the 11% shrinkage, I'm looking at approx 11" width. I'm also working on smaller 9"plates that will shrink to about 8" in the end. The little plate pictured is a test. I want to make sushi pottery too!

No comments: