Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Some Encaustic Work

Here is one of the encaustic pieces I made at Kim Bernard's workshop during July 4th weekend. We made our own supports which are basically shallow boxes turned over. The sides of this piece are about 1 and 1/2" thick. The supports keep the piece from warping. If it warps the wax could crack...very bad. This piece has another mini box inset near the top where I poured wax into the cavity and stuck one of my mini vases in before the wax cooled. Underneath are a row of periwinkle shells. I'm having so much fun playing with the wax and trying some cool things out.



Here's a close-up:



I think I can put dried flowers in the vase and they won't fall out. My daughter said this is ocean art because she says the blue part at the bottom looks like waves, plus the shells. Maybe instead of flowers, we'll collect some feathers we find at the beach and put those in the vase.

2 comments:

On a Whimsey said...

Very nice!

I love encaustic art too! It is a truly fascinating medium.

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Very cool!! I love seeing your new stuff!